The following information provided by the US Park Service|
at their excellent site: http://www.cr.nps.gov/phad/stlilcs.html
Name: Fort Wood Walls
Also Known as: Star Fort
Built: 1808 - 1811
Altered: 1930 - 1965
Description: 24' High Battered Walls (20' Thick at Base)
Form: 11-Pointed Star, Battered Water Table, Projecting Pararpet/Coping
Construction Materials: Quarry-Faced Granite Ashlars
Slots at Inside Corners
Massive Iron Doors at Sally Port Entrance
Named for: Eleazer Wood (Engineering Officer, Captain, War of 1812, later Lt. Colonel)
Date of Construction:
1808-1811 as part of New York Harbor Defense to protect Battery (Tip of Manhattan) and Ellis Island, among others (30) 24-Pound Cannons mounted "en barbette."
Date Selected as Site for STATUE OF LIBERTY: 1877
From New York's Forts:
1811 12 pointed star-shaped battery with 30 guns completed
1814 Named Ft Wood (for LtCol Elenzer Wood battle of Lake Erie)
1861 Used as Infirmary for 100 sick Confederate POWs
1877 Under consideration for the Statue of Liberty; garrison post built around original fort.
1886 Statue installed.
1902 Taken over for maintenance by the War Department.
1916 The National Park Service formed
1933 NPS took over operations of two acres; Army kept 10 acres.
1937 NPS took total control; Army begins to close the fort
1944 December. Army Finally closes fort.
1948 to 1950 Garrison post buildings of Fort Wood torn down
Visit Liberty Facts for more information on Liberty Island
Statue of Liberty|
Fort Wood walls and cannons in foreground
This photo from the
Collections of the Library of Congress
at their excellent site: